You are hereHome ›› DFID announces funding for neglected tropical diseases
DFID announces funding for neglected tropical diseases
UK to protect 200 million people from tropical diseases
The UK will protect over 200 million people from the pain and disfigurement caused by treatable tropical diseases, International Development Secretary Priti Patel announced on 16 April.
Neglected Tropical Diseases, such as trachoma, Guinea worm and river blindness, are avoidable infections but can deform, disable, blind and even kill if left untreated. They affect over a billion people in the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world, stopping children going to school and parents going to work - costing developing economies billions of dollars every year in lost productivity and reducing overall global prosperity.
Britain is already leading the way in fighting these diseases, and will more than double its support over the next five years. This will mean a billion treatments for people at risk in the developing world as part of an international push to eliminate and eradicate these ailments for good.
The UK’s total support package will:
- wipe out Guinea worm, which is transmitted through dirty water
- eliminate visceral leishmaniasis in Asia, a parasitic disease caused by infected sand-flies which destroy the internal organs
- prevent up to 400,000 cases of blindness caused by trachoma, the leading cause of infectious blindness in the world
- prevent tens of thousands of cases of disability caused by lymphatic filariasis, a mosquito-transmitted disease which can cause severe swelling of the lower limbs
The UK will also build on the great work done by our world-class universities, pharma companies and NGOs tackling Neglected Tropical Diseases by investing in pioneering research to drive the development of drugs that will control or eliminate them.
- What we do
- Get Involved
- Member Directory
- Policy and Effectiveness
- Training Resources
- Ask a Lawyer
- Consultants Directory
- Events and Training
Zambia and Rwanda Partnerships
Is your organisation applying to the Scottish Government's new Zambia and Rwanda Development Programme? NIDOS has set up a hub for organisations looking for partners.
Join NIDOS today and start networking!
NIDOS Effectiveness Toolkit
Make your organisation more effective with our Effectiveness Toolkit.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Advertise with NIDOS
- Prices start at just £15
- Website: >10,000 pageviews/month
- Newsletter: >1600 subscribers
Find out more, or call 0131 243 2680
Our Consultants Directory is a resource for organisations and individuals working in international development in Scotland
Find us on :